As many organization today are in the process for moving from VMware ESX to to ESXi, it has been important to VMware to educate its partners & customers of the process and difference. For that VMware is offering a free web training “Free Transition to ESXi essential training” to everyone who want to learn more about ESXi. The training can be found at: Free Transition to ESXi essential training Link . I hope you wall enjoy this free training.
Below are the description of the training as officially was posted on the VMware site:
Title: Transition to ESXi Essentials
– Format: Self-Paced
– Length: 4 Hours
Overview: This self-paced training course covers the requirements and effects of transitioning your VMware vSphere™ environment to VMware® ESXi. It provides the knowledge necessary to make fundamental design decisions and successfully add ESXi to a deployed vSphere environment. This course is based on ESXi 4.1.
Special Note: For those who prefer to learn this content in a classroom environment, whether virtual or face-to-face, there are several two-day classes scheduled worldwide. For a fee, you will receive the added value of hands-on lab exercises as well as interaction with fellow students and an instructor.
Review the upcoming schedule and register today.
Objectives At the end of the course, you should be able to:
• Identify ESXi installation and configuration procedures
• Leverage scripting interfaces to manage ESXi
• Identify risks when migrating to ESXi
Who Should Attend? System administrators, systems engineers, technical support engineers, and consultants responsible for managing and supporting a vSphere installation
Prerequisites Experience with VMware vSphere and VMware ESX™.
Module 1: Transition to ESXi Overview
- Inspect why ESXi and not ESX any more
- Questions that customers might ask – when moving from ESX to ESXi
Module 2: Compare and Contrast VMware ESXi and VMware ESX
- Identify differences between ESX and ESXi
Module 3: Install and Configure VMware ESXi
- Analyze VMware ESXi Installable and ESXi Embedded editions
- Install ESXi installable
- Identify the tasks and procedures required to migrate to ESXi
Module 4: Script Interfaces and Command Line Tools
- Discuss primary scripting interfaces
- Install vSphere Management Assistant (vMA)
- Identify the scripting interfaces and programming tools for ESXi
- Identify differences for the commands that were used with ESX and what to use with ESXi
- Recognize any custom commands implemented and how to substitute them with vCLI or power vCLI commands
Module 5: Management Tasks
- Identify hardware monitoring techniques
- Discuss system management
- Identify the VMware back up tools
- Distinguish the log files
- Setup centralized logging
- Recognize file management strategies
- Analyze lockdown mode
- Enable Tech Support Mode (TSM)